Since then the virus has spread dangerously throughout Slovenia. In the LIFE E-waste management its inventors have prepared the first report on its locations so that everyone can keep track of it.
In 2016 the company ZEOS, d.o.o. started implementing a five-year-long awareness-raising project in the field of proper e-waste and waste batteries management entitled LIFE E-waste management with the slogan E-cycle. The project is co-financed by the European Commission and Ministry of Environment and Spatial Planning of the Republic of Slovenia.
Within the project we established a consumer-friendly and household-friendly network of e-waste and waste batteries collection in order to facilitate correct discarding procedures for such waste. Our goal is to change the consumers’ habits and achieve the maximum efficiency in the separation of this type of waste. We will ensure this through three main actions of the project:
- Street collection bins for collecting smaller e-waste and waste batteries at several waste bin areas throughout the country,
- Green corners in larger shopping malls that sell e-equipment,
- Mobile collection for collecting and separating e-waste and waste batteries in rural areas throughout Slovenia.
We also organise several supporting activities in order to introduce the project to citizens and inform them why proper disposal of such waste is important for the environment.
This year, together with local partners of the project (municipalities and public waste management companies) we launched 282 street collection bins at waste bin areas throughout the country. Street collection bins are in place in Velenje and its surroundings, a large part of the Prekmurje Region, Celje and surrounding municipalities, Slovenske Konjice, Municipality of Ptuj, Zasavje Region, Lenart and Kidričevo with surrounding municipalities, in Radovljica and some other municipalities in the Gorenjska Region, in Posavje and the Littoral area. By the end of 2017 we plan to set up over 500 collection bins. All their locations are being updated on an online map that can be found on the project website.
Setting up of street collection bins was accompanied by workshops for youths, and within the project we also carried out some other awareness raising events at which we promoted our project.
We would like to spread the E-cycling virus also during this year’s European week for waste reduction, taking place from 19th to 27th November, so we prepared the following activities:
- 21st November 2016 –Workshop “E-waste and our environment” at 16:00 at Dijaški dom Škofja Loka (high school student dormitory), Podlubnik 1B, Škofja Loka
- 22nd November 2016 – Visit of E-transformer at the Vižmarje Brod Primary School, Na Gaju 2, Ljubljana
- 23rd November 2016 – Two workshops entitled “E-waste and our environment” at 10:00 and 12:00 at the Koper youth centre, Gregorčičeva ulica 4, Koper
- 23rd November 2016 - Visit of E-transformer at BIC Ljubljana, Ižanska cesta 10, Ljubljana
- 21st – 25th November 2016 – E-waste and waste batteries collection action:
- Celje Health Care School, Ipavčeva ulica 10, Celje
- Vižmarje-Brod Primary School, Na Gaju 2, Ljubljana
- BIC Ljubljana, Ižanska cesta 10, Ljubljana
Anyone who would like to know more about the implemented and planned project activities, and the first results of e-waste and waste batteries collection with the help of street collection bins and other supporting events, can read about it on the project’s website e-odpadki.zeos.si.
All consumers are kindly asked to care for the environment and join us in e-cycling. Do not be afraid of the E-cycle virus – it will make sure that natural resources can circulate, and landfills and nature will be spared.
More about the project